1.16.2006

The Visionary

In a real sense, all life is interrelated. All men are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be, and you can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Man Who Was a Fool, Strength to Love
Atlanta, GA
February 3, 1963

7 comments:

brendar said...

Your words are true. This "interrelated structure of reality" may be what others confuse with the "cosmic whole". People don't like to hear that their actions tear at the moral fabric of society. If you say that kind of stuff you are labeled a "fundamentalist zealot" on the scale of Pat Robertson. But the truth is plain in these matters in that we are all bound in common humanity and affect each other by virtue of some mysterious equilibrium.

Greg Garvin said...

These words belong to MLK. It just struck me how relevant this quote was to other surrounding conversations.

Jeanne said...

While I greatly appreciate his words, I eagerly await yours.

Greg Garvin said...

I think we don't rely on each other enough. Perhaps the issue is what type of reliance we are talking about?

Jeanne said...

I am really starting to wonder here. You haven't recieved a death threat or something, I hope.

Jeanne said...

And I thought I hadn't posted in a long time.

Greg Garvin said...

Sorry ... not dead yet ...