1.03.2005

Mudman

He appeared to be wandering around the side of this old farmhouse without a specific aim. At first, I just thought he was a guy with lots of brown on.

I had the day off work today, and decided to ride about 50K’s through a moderately hilly part of the county so dogs could chase me. What a kick. Anyway, as I was puffing up this “moderate” hill, with all the effort of an Olympic athlete, and the velocity of an arthritic grandmother’s walk -- on the left I see this brown dude sauntering about.

As I get closer, I can see that it is an adult humanoid, completely covered with medium-brown, chunky mud. No red mouth, no eyeholes, just wet dirt. Ok. “… wonder what that’s about …” I muttered to myself between gasps.

I never did stop to ask. I’m sure it was a great story, “Well, y’see we’ve this pregnant sow out by the barn, an’ she just don’t see the sense in raising her porky self to come inside, and we figgered the tractor was too dangerous. Then me and Buford figgered that we could just drag her back inside. She’s a bit bigger than we realized. Yep.” He did seem a bit ghost-like, disappearing and everything once I got close enough.

Anyway, every time I ride by the place I will probably look to see if Mudman cleaned up, or if he still wanders the farmland … looking for his lost pregnant pig.

2 comments:

la fille du fromage said...

heh. maybe he really was made of mud. do people really talk like that in maryland? sometimes i miss the vernacular of my georgian home. you should have stopped and offered him a beer. perhaps a nut brown.

brendar said...

I believe you have witnessed the Golem!