1.08.2005

Hurt

As is my habit, I commuted to work by bicycle on Friday. It’s dark both ways, so the bike lights are important. On my way out of the building to come home, I found that I had apparently forgotten to fully re-charge my headlamp.

Should I call my wife? A cab? Maybe look for a lift from a co-worker? I left the building as a typical Independent American Male. No asking for help. Such a thing is shameful to the North American bearers of the XY-chromosome. So, of course, I chose to take the risk. Auh Auh Auh!

I rode off down the hill, after only a few moments I was asking for divine safety. I actually found myself (embarrassingly) singing an 80’s Christian song about angelic protection. At points, I was really quite scared. I could not see where I was going. Oncoming cars could not see me, and would occasionally turn into my path.

Deciding to ride in the dark, despite the risk -- I had gotten myself into my own bad situation -- made me think of the fact that I have done that type of thing many times before, and in far more significant ways.

Again, on a steep uphill (epiphany always come to me on climbs), the idea occurred to me that I had somehow … hurt God’s feelings. Perhaps not by riding in the dark that night, as much as metaphorically doing the same at other times. At first this “hurt feelings” thing seemed like a ridiculous proposition. After all, God does not need my friendship. He exists independent and complete, apart from any other being. Entertaining this thought seemed almost wrong: as if God were a weak, dependent person.

Person.

I realized that up to this point in my life, my “relationship” with God has been less of an actual relationship, and more of a formula, and standard of observance. By “observance”, I don’t necessarily mean formal worship codes, or a list of rules -- I’m talking about my conception of God, and the way I approach him. The idea that he could actually be hurt by my actions (or inaction) was honestly, a new realization. At least, I am now more willing to consider that this is the case.

I think that up to this point, I have not really understood the *personal* love that God has for me (and us). He wants a real relationship with us as any other person might. He seeks us, and is both disappointed and hurt by our rejection of him. This is far different from an angry, vindictive deity who waits to pounce when we step out of line. It’s so funny – I thought that I had dispensed with that caricature of God long ago.

Perhaps this is old news to you. In a way, it is not new to me either. I have believed this on some level all along, but I had not until now really understood it. I am actually ashamed that I have not given God more credit. If I, as a poor parent, could be so broken or moved by the actions and decisions of my own children – I would be willing to jump in front of the proverbial bus for any of them – would God feel less so?

12 comments:

brendar said...

Why do we always end up reducing religion to formula and equation. Every story in the Bible is about one or more people in a relationship with their creator. Though God is never changing our relationship with him is always in a state of flux. I think that we view God as being "above" having a relationship with us and we lack the faith to believe that he would want to. I with you in continual epiphany.

la fille du fromage said...

"epiphany"!!! that's a big word for a little martian, brendar.

Anonymous said...

testy testy the test tester

Anonymous said...

Test?

Anonymous said...

I think you worry too much. On the other hand, I think you worry too little. Too much about God, too little about pedestrians. Relationships are as solid as rocks (or pedestrians)- either they are there or they're not. You cannot change your relationship to God by thinking about it. My experience is that concentrating on that particular (or any other) relationship leads to wondering why things don't feel the same as they felt at some other time, which in it's own turn leads to an attempt (even unconcious) to recreate that feeling in order to reassure oneself. The best thing seems to be to let go, give up control, concentrate on being as honest as possible, and letting things come as they happen to.
At one point in my life I wanted to be a preacher, and I seem to have a tendency to preach even now. I am, of course, as ignorant as the next galactian. But when the spirit moves me, I follow, hoping to be of some help.
-Jeanne

Greg Garvin said...

"I think you worry too ... much about God, too little about pedestrians."

I need to chew on that one for a while. I think you may be right, if my posts represent my ongoing daily thoughts. Not sure that they do. I'm usually more reflective when I post.

I really appreciate the direct and honest feedback.

Oh ... and welcome to Cheese-Girl's virtual community!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry if I was too intrusive. I don't really know how to behave around martians. By pedestrians I meant the earthlings you might have biked into. That's what I was most worried about when I biked home without lights a couple of weeks ago. But I kept on riding too, even if I wasn't thinking about God. "I'm so sorry you broke your arm. I was really worried about this happening" isn't much more of a consolation than "I was thinking about God being disappointed by my recklessness with my own safety". So who am I to throw stones.

I promise to be more appropriately frivolous in the future.
-Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Gee do I sound obnoxious. Now you know why I was deported to Sweden.
-Jeanne

brendar said...

Jeanne, have no mercy on him...he aims for squirrels.
I like what you said here:
"You cannot change your relationship to God by thinking about it."
I think that you can only change that relationship by "doing" not by thinking. You should have your own blog!

Greg Garvin said...

Jeanne and Fille:

Worry not! We Martians are not easily offended. We are used to cutting on each other quite a bit, and sincerely appreciate the honor and implied familiarity of that practice.

My favorite people are those who walk into my house unannounced and grab a beer from the cooler.

brendar said...

Ah! Refrigerator rights!

Shawn Cuthill said...

Wow cool blog. You bear a striking resemblance to the rapper "Ice-T"? Are you related by any chance?
Anyhow, the same-sex marriage debate is raging up here in Canada. The government should be making a decision in the next few months. What do you think about the issue? Join the debate at www.shawncuthill.comCheers,
Shawn