11.13.2004

self forgetfulness

It's like in the movies: the projector shouldn't be seen as part of the screen. If it is -- if a part of it is hanging loose, say, and blocking part of the lens -- then the picture is messed up. You see, the projector isn't designed to project itself, but to project the movie. We're like that projector. We were designed by God to know and love and praise and enjoy him and his other children and his world. Instead, we keep getting in our own way. Selfishness and self-regard are like pieces of self, pieces of the projector hanging down and blocking the light. They get in the way of what we're designed to do. In self-forgetfulness ... we approach our original design, at least a little closer, for a little while.

-- Peter Kreeft, Prayer: The Great Conversation

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Gar,

Good post... The projector gives a good visual. I find myself blocking the light when I want to do something or just hanging out with "ABC" person because I believe "I" will have more fun. When the fact of the matter is I could be hanging out with someone else who needs to just to feel connected and cared about. I guess this is just one example. I am just glad I am aware, so I can move past this act of selfishness. Sometimes we see "time" as so precious that we sometimes deny the "sick and ones that need to be healed." We all must pray for strength past these personal barriers of light. Thanks for the post!