11.29.2004

Old Man

I renewed my driver's license today (42 days overdue). I looked at the pic from 2000, and compared to the new ID ... apparently I am aging along with the rest of the sea of humanity. 39 is not exactly ready for the folks home, but it ain't no high-school deal either. I get sore more often. I wake up with aches and ailments. I am slowly dying. This is easy to deny when you are young and virile ... I don't mean to wax melodramatic ... but I see the giant coming over the hill.

I am looking forward to being a dirty old man. Since I am an upright dirty middle-aged man, I doubt that I will change that much.

There's the thing. Change. I hate it and I love it. It scares me. I see my philosophy of life and my core assumptions shifting and changing far more frequently than I would have expected for a guy approaching 40. That's for college students, eh? Apparently not. What a wild ride this is.

1 comment:

brendar said...

"The Bull" and I were discussing this a few months ago. I am astonished at how much more liberal I am now that I am pushing 40. Our little group of friends was a bastion of conservatism and I had always heard that one gets more conservative as one ages. I thought that by middle age we would all be a bunch of Fascists. As it stands we have all become quite open minded (except for Ben, the quintessential old man). I wonder what we will be like at 60? I'll check back with you in 20 years.